I have now been living the low carb high fat (LCHF) lifestyle for over 2 years, my weight has stabilised 15kg down, my blood pressure, calcium and cholesterol have normalised and I have not developed familial type 2 diabetes. All in all a great outcome with no real or sustained exercise.
I still enjoy the occasional sweet treat and while the grandies have been here for the holidays I decided to include them in making some 'healthier / lower carb' treats. I grew up making recipes for sugar based fudgy truffle balls, rice-bubble and honey balls, cake pop balls and the like - these balls have a similar texture with the ability to "tart" them up a bit, in a more popularist style.
- 24 Dates - normal baking ones
- 1 Cup Almond Meal (Ground Almonds)
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa or Cacao Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 2/3 Cup dessicated Coconut
- 1 Tablespoon Chia Seeds
- Your choice of coating
- Cover the dates with boiling water and leave to soften for about an hour.
- Drain and reserve liquid
- Place all ingredients into food processor and pulse until well combined
- Add extra Almond meal or some of the liquid to make a soft mix.
- Leave for 10 - 15 minutes for the Chia to soften. This will also firm up the mix.
- Scoop into even sized balls - I use a Small Spring Scoop
- Roll in your desired coating
- Dessicated Coconut,
- Cacao or Cocoa powder,
- Chocolate sprinkles,
- Crushed Nuts,
- 100's &1000's
- Melted Dark Chocolate etc
- Place in a covered container in fridge to set - about 30 mins
As it was the holidays, the Grandies chose Chocolate Sprinkles and 100's & 1000's to make Nans Chocolate Sprinkle balls for their treats.